Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Indian Corn Jewelry

Are you already feeling the crazy rush of the holidays, like me? I don't know what it is about this time of year that makes you feel like you are running around like a chicken with it's head cut off (I know, I hate that analogy, but I can't help it--my mom passed it down to me and now I plan to do that same with Em and G! Hehe!)
We needed to stop and slow down, at least for just one evening and this seemed to be the perfect way to do so.

I remember making Indian corn jewelry as a child and loving it more each year I grew. I love activities that can become traditions it makes it all the more special.
Look at those incredible colors of this corn, it just makes me happy. You can find Indian corn at most markets or even craft store this time of year. I definitely encourage you to get it still on the cob. Removing the corn is one of the best parts.

It comes off a lot easier then it looks. Even G (age 3) was able to pop these kernels off. Both kids finished an entire cob.

Into a bowl of water they went to sit at least 24 hours. This softens up our corn to make for easier threading.
The next day we pulled out some embroidery thread and a needle and got to work. This is the first year Em was able to do this part. Although the corn softens up, it is still pretty tough and takes some strength to the get the needle through.

We made several bracelets and a necklace with just one cob. They go a long way. This was a great way to mellow out with some tea and my two favorite little ones. And......breath.

5 comments:

  1. I've seen of lots of crafts with indian corn but this is something new for sure. very cool. would love if you shared this on our #kidsinthekitchen linky this week. http://lookwhatmomfound.com/2013/11/making-bread-sticks-kids.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew Indian corn was so gorgeous?! Thanks for sharing at the Foodies and Crafties Soiree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love it! I have done a similar necklace with my daughter, but with the rowan berries. She loved it, so I must try yours!
    Thanks for sharing at Foodies & Crafties Soirée, I am featuring you tomorrow!
    Gosia | Kiddie Foodies

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant and I was delighted to learn something new - that corn comes in different colours! Thank you for sharing on We Love Weekends recently and I have highlighted this post on this week's We Love Weekends http://peaklepie.com/last-day-of-autumn-wlw-30th-november-2013/ Thanks again for sharing and please feel free to share more posts on WLW's soon!

    ReplyDelete