Monday, September 9, 2013

No-Cook Oatmeal

Is it just me or can school mornings feel like herding sheep in all different directions? It's chaotic and rushed and the morning always ends with not enough breakfast eaten, hair never brushed to my satisfaction and something always left behind. Last year, I found a few things to be very helpful in making the morning run more smoothly and one of them was healthy breakfast recipes that could be made on Sundays for the entire week.
Refrigerator Oatmeal is fun to make with the kids and is a very healthy option to grab easily for the whole family each morning.

 Ingredients:
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup milk (we like almond milk in ours)
1 tbs chia seed
1 tbs greek yogurt
almonds
cranberries

 We use wide mouth mason jars for our oatmeal. Any container will work, but I suggest using glass. Emma helps me make about 6 of these jars each Sunday, that way we have them ready for the week. She adds all of our ingredients to a jar.

 Once everything is in it's time for the fun--shake away!! She loves this step!

 We place our jars in the refrigerator and in the morning we have breakfast ready to go. Once you have this basic recipe down it is easy to change up to fit each family member. You can add fresh fruit to it when you are ready to eat and this can be eaten hot or cold.

I like being able to grab a jar and head to the park with Grayson. Emma likes hers warmed with a little honey. This is such a great way to be sure we are eating a healthy breakfast each day and leaves more time for hugs, kisses and hair brushing!

If you like this simple "made ahead" breakfast, check out my Easy Eggs for the Week recipe.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing with us this recipe! I really need to buy some chia seeds!
    Pinned on the Monday Parenting Pin-It Party xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to get on a bit of a health kick because I've been quite sick and not really looking after myself so this would be great to fit in my hectic schedule, especially for someone who doesn't usually have time for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter would love the shaking part too. She's also a big oatmeal fan. Thank you for sharing at our Pinning for Play link party!

    ReplyDelete