Thursday, March 21, 2013

Lavender Playdough

 If there was an ambassador of homemade playdough I think I would own that title! I started making my own playdough when I realized how sensitive little ones can be and with no words to verbalize their feelings sensory play is very therapeutic and relaxing.  Making my own playdough allows me to create something that is not just fun to play with, but very calming as well.
 I first made lavender playdough for Emma when she was having trouble separating from me during her first year of preschool. After very emotional days she would come home and we would relax with our lavender dough. She loved it and I surely didn't mind my home smelling like a peaceful retreat while I played with my children!

  

Lavender Playdough Recipe
2 cups + 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tbs. cream of tartar
3 tbs. oil
4-6 drops lavender oil 
1-2 drops or liquid watercolor paints or food coloring (optional)
1 cup boiling hot water
 dried lavender flowers (optional)


 1. Add 2 cups flour, salt, cream of tartar, oil, lavender oil and food color to a large mixing bowl. Start with a few drops of lavender oil. You can add more later if you want a stronger scent.
2. Pour your water into the bowl and mix away.
 3. Once your dough looks like this, sticky and starting to form a ball-- you can dump it onto a flat surface to knead. Adding a little of the remaining flour at a time until it is no longer sticky. The dough is very soft and firms a little bit as it cools. You don't want to add too much flour and lose the softness.
 Once you have your dough to the right consistency you can knead in some dried lavender flowers if you desire to do so. This touch may have been for me...I just love lavender.
 
 We love using walnut shells and cookie cutters with our playdough.

Wishing you a peaceful day of fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment