Sunday, October 13, 2013

8 Easy Costume Accessories

 Here are 8 simple ways to create a costume at home with things you most likely already have around the house. Best part is children can be involved in making their costumes! Have to love that!

 I love the delicate vintage look of this lace crown. When we first made it I imagined it being perfect for a newborn photo shoot. There are so many options for this one to become the perfect crown for any princess desired costume.

 To make a lace crown all you need is glue, lace, a stapler and optional gems. Emma painted a strip of lace with glue and let it dry. Once dry she stapled it together to form a crown and added gems to the top. There are so many options when it comes to lace ribbon. You can make this as extravagant as you like. Check out my full tutorial at Kiwi Crate for more details.

 The royal pipe cleaner crown is so easy for kids to make and can be embellished with beads or left simple. This is a fun costume accessory for Halloween, a birthday or any ordinary day.

 Just twist and sculpt the crown the way you like. Check out my full details at Kiwi Crate.

 We made this bonnet for Easter last spring, but we have continued to use this technique for many different hats. It can easily become a pirate or witch hat with a little black paint and felt details. Check out details here, Easter Bonnet.

 Do you have a Rapunzel on your hands? Or maybe a clown or Raggedy Anne? This is another accessory that is very versatile and yarn hair is much sweeter than those plastic hair wigs you find in the stores. To see full instructions head to my DIY Crazy Hair Wig post.

 These unicorn headbands were originally made for Emma's Unicorn birthday party, but have become a favorite in our dress-up box. Add a tutu and tail and you got a great unicorn halloween costume. See more details here, Unicorn Birthday Party.

 Wands are good for many costumes. These were specific to fairies, but can easily be changed to any sort of wand you need. They start out with a stick found in the yard, pretty easy to do. My full instructions are at my Nature Fairy Wand post.

Have a rock star in your life? Well, you will definitely need a microphone! A paper roll and balloon make this rock star ready to perform. Details are over on my DIY Music post.

 Another wand completes this list. This has been used for the princess, fairy and magician in my house.
We made this with a styro ball, chopstick and some ribbon. Details on Kiwi Crate.

What are you creating this Halloween? So far I have had requests for a princess leopard, spider-man, super hero pirate and a mermaid. I wonder what the final call will be.
Happy costume crafting, friends!

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to click through to the wig. My son is obsessed with Clay Matthews. Perhaps I can make him an all yellow wig. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love that lace crown, and I think my daughter would be thrilled to paint and decorate it! I pinned this to my (CarlaINHouston) Halloween board--thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great ideas! I am definitely pinning this post for inspiration. Thanks for sharing with Afterschool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter would go crazy over these! These accessory ideas would also work for everyday play too :-) Thank you for sharing and for linking up this week to the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Fairy would love these! Thanks for joining in the Monday Parenting Pin it Party.

    ReplyDelete